Offhand it would seem that a shock of 10,000 volts would be more deadly than 100 volts. But this is not so! While any amount of current over 10 milliamps (0.01 amp) is capable of producing painful to severe shock, currents between 100 and 200 mA (0.1 to 0.2 amp) are lethal.
Ordinary, household, 120 volts AC electricity is dangerous and it can kill. Electrical current involves the flow of electrons and it’s measured in amps.
The human body has an inherent high resistance to electric current, which means without sufficient voltage a dangerous amount of current cannot flow through the body and cause injury or death. As a rough rule of thumb, more than fifty volts is sufficient to drive a potentially lethal current through the body.
An electric shock from a 240 volt power point can kill you, but on a dry day your car door can zap you with 10,000 volts and just make you swear.
For starters, 220 volts is not “a power”, but lets ignore that as the question is clear enough. Secondly, if you get electrocuted you ‘re probably either already dead, or going to die from your injuries. What you want to know is whether 220V is enough to deliver a fatal electric shock. Yes, it is.
Once the darts make a connection with a target, the Taser sends 50,000 – volt electric pulses into the victim’s body, causing intense muscle spasms and sharp pain. But despite the high voltage of a Taser’s current, the relatively low amperage on the device is what allows it to immobilize but not kill you.
Across your hand 120 volts will wack you like a taser. It’ll shoot up your arm and gives a sensation similar to getting hit in your funny bone really hard. It will also give you a feeling similar to the pins and needles feeling you get when your hand falls asleep.
5 volts is completely safe. The resistance of your body (particularly across your heart which is what matters most as far as electricity safety is concerned) is about 100 kOhm. At 5 volts you ‘ll have about 50 microamps flowing across you, which is not even enough to feel.
If there is sufficient path for the flow of current through the voltage of 120V, there is a possibility of electrocution. It doesn’t matter whether it is AC or DC, safety comes first. Current as small as 50mA flows through the body, there is a chance for fibrillation of heart and which results in stroke.
DC current is about 2-4 times less dangerous than AC current because the AC current will cause faster ventricular fibrillation which is often the cause of death from electric shock. Applying 9V from your hand to hand directly in your bloodstream would then give 30mA DC which is highly unlikely to kill you.
These electrified metal surfaces can have up to 100 volts of electricity, which is equivalent to the voltage in a light socket and more than enough to kill a dog.
Voltages over approximately 50 volts can usually cause dangerous amounts of current to flow through a human being who touches two points of a circuit, so safety standards are more restrictive around such circuits. In automotive engineering, high voltage is defined as voltage in range 30 to 1000 VAC or 60 to 1500 VDC.
You could run something on 240 volts that is not a big load ( takes a lot of current), like a furnace. It does not mean that because you are using a 240 socket that it has to mean a lot of power ( Watts). You might have an electric clock connected to a 240 volt supply, as is common in the UK.
So yes, 220 Volts is plenty to kill you if the source can supply sufficient current, and if that killed you you would have been “electrocuted”. However if you are only injured and not killed by the electricity you would not have been “electrocuted”. It is the high current flowing in the body that cause much harm.
What does it feel to like to get shock of 240 volts? If one is not well grounded, you feel a tingling jolt, and when you spasm, you will feel muscle pain that most likely will last days.